Wednesday, October 04, 2006

It's So The Drama!

Having free tickets to watch almost any movie in Cathay Cineleisure (near The Curve), both Julius and i decided to use those tickets and catch a movie. (again, this is one of the privilleges working for a press company.)

Saturday afternoon, after the special youth meeting at church, we both went there. And of all the movies available, i had to choose The Banquet.

The story basically tells of the power struggle between the late emperor's brother, the empress and the reluctant crown prince. It's Hamlet in the Chinese empire setting, which Kung-fu and more drama.

Interesting parts of the movie is the kung-fu scenes and the performing arts. And boy, i think they had tonnes of fake blood for most of the scenes. But the movie basically revolves around this word: DRAMA.

Color not inverted. There's so much blood that would any vampire go drunk. THAT blood!


For more information on this movie, do click HERE or HERE.


No points for guessing which of these characters survived in the end.

Honestly, it's so much of bad movie. It just has a lousy, hanging ending. If you're a fan of Chinese Kung-Fu movies, appreciate Chinese performing arts and literature or even if you enjoyed the movie Hero, starring Jet Li, this is indeed your cup of Chinese tea (pun not intended).

If you can't stomuch too much drama, blood and tears, steer clear from this movie!


I feel you, Daniel. Even if i were to act in such a movie, i would be in tears as well.

Having got free tickets to watch it, i guess it's vainless complaining about it.

Once again i got free tickets (please don't feel envious) to watch Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby tonight with Aaron Oon, Lai Seng, Joelle and her two friends. Just hope this movie lives up to its expectation and promotion.


This movie has Will Ferrell and Sacha Baron Cohen aka Ali G in it. Should be funny lah.



Love & Peace!~

BC?

5 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Haven't managed to see The Banquet yet, and after your warning I'm not sure I will .. I thought Talladega Nights was fairly funny, but Ali G stole every scene he was right away from Mr. Ferrell!

Penguinferret said...

hello, its darshini here :) add me to your links ;)
nice blog btw ;)

keep up, my friend

joanne liyeng said...

I loved The Banquet. I like how the hero didn't emerge victorious, or the villian-hero binarism clearly marked with a line.

I love blood onscreen, and the bloodiness of the movie just blows me away.

I LOVE the soundtrack. Tan Dun is way to go. And Lang Lang has won my heart, inevitably.

Above all, I love the cinematography. Too bad the Malaysian censorship board had to ruin it for me. Awkward scene transitioning.

hello bernard!

BlurChu? said...

Yeah... Talledega Nights was damm hilarious!

And will add you to my blog soon, Darshini!

I think HERO was muct better than this. My main complaint for THE BANQUET was the sucky ending. Nonetheless, the cinematography was good. That's the saving grace, Joanne!


BC?

joanne liyeng said...

heehee i think that's where postmodernism comes in. like how there is no one true interpretation of the text, there is no one accurate interpretation as to who murdered the empress. like sepet lah. we didnt know if jason died or not mah. :)