Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Log of a Camp Commander. (DAY 0)

* Originally entitled “ Mishaps, God’s Blessings and Food”, but it makes the camp sound bad….
** I’ve divided it into several parts, so that I can post other stuff, and not strain your eyes too much!

DAY 0

Yeah, you read it right. It was the day before the camp. A few of us (Enoch, Angel, Hui Wen, Swee Seng and I) went to the campsite to inspect on it before the campers came.

Here is the info about the camp:

UTAR Christian Fellowship 1st camp

Date: 7th – 10th October 2004
Venue: Benum Hill Resort, Raub, Pahang
Theme: MY LEADER, THE SERVANT



I was too nervous bout the camp the night before. Ergo, I didn’t get enough sleep. To make matters worse, I reached the LRT station later than expected, the tire of Enoch’s bike burst, and I had to pay a taxi fare of RM 7.50 THAT I'LL NEVER SEE AGAIN from Gasing Indah (Thanks Melissa, for telling me where I was!). And we started to leave for Raub at around 12 pm.

A couple of hours later, we reached Raub, and had lunch there. Swee Seng met up with us there, as it was his hometown, and took us for “cut noodles” (translate this and it means something!)

After leaving our stuff at Swee Seng’s house, we went to the camp site at around 4 pm. Two parties were on our side. Mother Nature was happy with us, and we had to walk around that muddy place, and took shelter when we were there. The other was the camp people there. There were some complications regarding the National Service trainers. Long story short, we didn’t have enough space for our own camp. We had to come up with a contingency plan.

After the unpleasant visit to that camp site, we went and got some snacks, and drove up all the way to Fraser’s Hill. It’s been awhile since I went there. And boy, the trip there can be scary, especially at night. When you thought you were at the edge of the road, you realize that the altitude and limited light is influencing your judgment!

Finally, after an hour plus worth of travel, we were there! Fraser’s Hill! We were happy indeed. But what was bothering us was we weren’t prepared for such chilly weather. I bet people around will be wondering, “what are these five teenagers with shorts and t-shirts doing up here? Are they just feeling to hot?” We just kept that to ourselves, talked among ourselves, and ate dinner without the thoughts of others.

Freezing, indeed…

But we were amazed by the scenery there, and decided to snap a few pictures. So, we took pictures of us, with all kind of post, and creatures there! And the stag beetle I found is awesome! (I wish I had the photos to show it to you now!)

At around a quarter pass 12, we were back at Swee Seng’s crib. While the others hit the sack, Swee Seng and I went to one of the nearest mamak shop and chit chatted. I was taken back by the fact that they serve roti kosong here with chicken curry, unlike the usual KL fish curry, and it’s superb! What was more shocking was the Indian owner was fluent in Hakka!

We went back at 1, got some camp related information from the net, and I was out at around 2 am…. As I was thinking of Dim Sum the next morning, I mean later, I felt into slumber.

To be continued….



Love & Peace!~


BC?

No comments: