Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Cold Yet Friendly: Day 1 Doing My Industriial Attachment

Before i started my Industrial Attachment, a lot of people asked me, "Where will you be working?"

My normal response will be, "The Sun."

"Where is it ah?" would always be the following question after the prior one. And sometimes, i would reply,

"Oh, if you look up in the sky... see that big, glaring ball of fire?"
"I can't show you the place now... it's outside there."
"There, you don't know ah?"
(pointing finger towards the sky)

After all that, i would tell them that the office is somewhere along the Federal Highway, near PJ Newtown (Or is it Old town)?

Anyway, today's the first day of Industrial Attachment for me and other hopefuls known as my classmates and PR, BC and AD students of the same in-take. As a requirement for our courses, we will be taking one semester off to be an intern in a company around PJ/KL area and slightly away from there (even in Australia!)

I can't just penned down how i exactly feel about my first day. But i was so anxious that i can't sleep properly on Saturday night. Yes, i was restless on bed both Sunday and Saturday night. But i manage to get out of bed early yesterday and got there early.

I waited in the office for awhile till the HR person came and approached me, asking me to fill in a form. Then i was introduced by Damien, one of the staff members there, around the office. I got to know the faces of the people of the bylines of the paper and even a couple of my seniors from the university. The people here are friendly and helpful. Even one of the top brass sat with me and explain how the content is being arranged and prepped for the paper the next day.

After that, i was left to do my own thing. Let's just say i was left to read the newspapers there almost the whole afternoon. The situation was a glass half full since i got to do read the pamplet on the Da Vinci Code and get Homegroup meeting reports done. But later in the afternoon, i was told to do a press release by Sharon, one of the journalist there. After awhile of writing and re-writing the press release and knowing the other writers there, i managed to finish keep the report below 110 words. And i was shocked to find out that the press release was no practice and will be out on Friday. I was dumbfounded.

And since i didn't move around much, i realised the office was freezing cold! (Ironic, since the office is called The Sun) And the staff advised me to get a jacket. Being naturally insulated from heat, i even though of getting a jacket for myself.

Overall, i enjoyed my first day of getting to know the staff there, the departments, the works and hands on experience on writing a press release!

I immediately crashed on my bed once i got home after dinner. The whole day took a lot from me, what more with out doing myself at Captain Ball and deprived sleep. Anyway, this is just the beginning. 1 day down, 99 (give or take) more to go!


Love & Peace!~


BC?

No comments: